Quick Search

Follow

Blog Archive

Monday, May 6, 2013

Cultivate Your Passion

My ultimate goal is to write, direct, and produce independent film. With that I say:

This line of work, or any unconventional line of work, requires encouragement, intense encouragement, heart-felt and meaningful, as if someone does actually believe in you, self-motivation, and did I mention encouragement? Conviction will be felt in this line of work and you will feel condemned by this line of work, as if to say, “Nothing else in life will be to my satisfaction if I don’t do this. I won’t be happy.”

In this line of work, the DNA to a great  story/film consists of your ability to effectively write; can I clearly and effectively tell a story? Or am I just really good at rambling meaninglessly? Writing comes to me in bits and pieces. I jot one thought down, think for a bit, pick up something inspiring, and jump to the next thought; praying that it will all make sense in the end; that it will be powerful in all literary aspects and thought provoking.

A clear voice of your own is the key to writing or becoming the essence that you are. An authentic voice, distinctive, bold; simply, your voice must speak to others; I try to be crisp and comprehensible; telling my story with intent. I want you to know exactly how I got to this place, and how you can get here too if desirable. Through writing, I want to leave a path behind me so enormous that this will be the next wave of greatness; the next revolution; the next mark of progression; a unique story like none of the rest that can still inspire and invoke prominence.

I can hear my inner critic heckling now, “Slow down, you’re almost 30. Be content with mediocrity." No. No. No, I just can’t. I have to try. Luckily, in this line of work there is no step by step process I must go by, it is merely sticking to what I do best- checking for inspiration, checking for inspiration, observing, and seeking the type of imagination that is soul perpetuating as I choose my words, verbs, and actions wisely or with hope they choose me. Don’t be boring they say. What is there left to innovate? What is there left to speak? INDEPENDENCE; building up thinkers, creating a belief in a cultural renaissance strong enough to actually make it happen; all through the vessel of words and imagery.

As the brief but hopefully stimulating above paragraphs resonate, I want to leave on this note, a tribute to Austin. It is probably why I am so compelled to pursue these cravings. There is creative energy in the city of Austin that can be mistaken for laziness. I have come to that conclusion today. Having lived in two separate cities and seeing the level of work ethic between the two, today I deciphered this: People in Austin seem lazy but really are creative, really are thinkers; exerting the least amount of energy and experiencing the most amount of life. Austinites take their time. Austinites do it the way they want to do it; when, where, and how they want to do it, therefore deep rooting the uniqueness. It will stay forever different and “weird” because of that. True free spirits.

Translate